VELDE, Ill. –– Illinois winters can be tough with the freezing cold and large amounts of snow. But while winter is hard on us, it can be hard on your car, too. We’re going to help you prepare for the cold with these winter car tips. Getting stuck on the side of the road when it’s 20 degrees does not sound like a good time, so make sure you follow these tips for a safe and enjoyable season.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. An emergency kit is probably the most important thing to have in your vehicle. Items that should be in this kit include a flashlight, flares, engine oil, and jumper cables to name a few. Here’s a full list from the DMV: http://bit.ly/1hsqZgT.
- Check your belts and hoses. Your car’s belts and hoses should be checked when you get a tune-up, but check them again when the weather starts getting cold. Low temperatures can crack and weaken belts and hoses, and if those break you’re not going anywhere.
- Replace windshield wipers. Wipers should be replaced every six months from wear and tear anyways. Without good wipers, you’re putting yourself and other drivers at risk when it’s snowing.
- Fill your car with antifreeze. Antifreeze will keep your engine from freezing in the cold weather. It should always be mixed with water at a 50/50 ratio. Fortunately, most places sell antifreeze already mixed with the water so you don’t have to measure it out.
- Check your battery. Batteries last around three to five years. During the winter months your battery works much harder. So if your batter life is getting close to the end you should replace it before the cold gets too bad.
- Invest in snow tires. Snow tires help with traction, braking, and driver control, which are all great when you’re driving in a snowstorm. You’ll be much safer driving with proper tires during the winter.
Prepare for the cold with these winter car tips and you’ll stay safe and warm with your vehicle all season long. If you need any auto service done before the snow hits visit our Peoria Heights area Ford dealer. We’ll take care of anything you need.
Visit our website: VeldeFordPekin.com
Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram